This Hai Van Pass Tour Departs 7 days a week. Leaves 9am. Arrives 4pm.
There are 3 ways to do this trip:
- Start: Hoi An —> Finish: Hue.
- Start: Hue —> Finish: Hoi An.
- Hoi An to Hoi An Loop Tour (Book here).
Hai Van Pass Tour – Itinerary
The itinerary below is based on Hoi An to Hue direction. The Hue to Hoi An direction is the below in reverse. The itinerary can be subject to change due to weather/traffic.
- DEPART 9am from your hostel in Hoi An – Get picked up in old school open-top jeeps and start to make your way north to the Hai Van Pass.
- MARBLE MOUNTAIN – Before you get to the Hai Van Pass, you will pass the magnificent Marble Mountain Pagoda Complex. We give every group the option to stop and visit Marble Mountain. It is a group decision on the day and we stop there if the majority wants to stop. (There is no entry fee included in the tour price.)
- COASTAL SCENERY – The jeeps then take the coastal route round Da Nang to make your way up to the first part of the Hai Van Pass.
- DANANG BAY – Whilst making your way up the Pass, your driver will stop and allow you to take some amazing pictures of Da Nang and the lush environment around Da Nang Bay. These are postcard-worthy views!
- ABANDONED FRENCH FORT – The next stop on the list is an old abandoned fort, which was built by the French and later used by US and South Vietnamese troops during the Vietnam War. Here you get to explore the old fort and take some more Instagram-worthy pictures of the Pass, as well as grabbing a quick bite to eat and something to drink.
- HAI VAN PASS BENDS – After the fort, you make your way down the windy roads of the Pass towards Hue taking the coastal scenic route… But strap in! The ride gets bumpy! Light relief comes in the form of a quick bridge stop, where you’ll take in the seafront views.
- LUNCH + SWIM AT LANG CO/CANH DUONG BEACH – The next stop is Lang Co Beach, where you are warmly welcomed by the hosts and served a delicious traditional Vietnamese lunch (included in the cost). You can also take a refreshing dip in the sea, so make sure you pack your swimmers in your day bag!
- FISHING VILLAGES + CITY OF GHOSTS – The final part of your jeep journey takes you through lush Vietnamese countryside, passing the unusual City of Ghosts.
- ARRIVE IN HUE at your chosen hostel around 4pm.
What’s included in the Hai Van Pass Jeep Tour?
- An open-top jeep ride from Hoi An to Hue or Hue to Hoi An
- Pick up and drop off at your hostel.
- A traditional Vietnamese lunch at the beach.
- Many breathtaking stops at beautiful mountain views
- A knowledgeable English speaking guide to give you fun facts about the areas you drive through
- Bottled water (other drinks available for sale)
5 Reasons to Travel the Hai Van Pass by Jeep!
- You won’t arrive at your destination a nervous wreck. The roads are windy, steep and busy. These really aren’t roads for novice moped riders or inexperienced drivers!
- You’ll arrive in one piece. The amount of backpackers who arrive in Hue with exhaust burns, scraped knees, and an insurance bill to boot says it all…
- A chance to sit back and relax. If you’re constantly watching out for hazards, it’s hard to sit back and enjoy the ride (or the views). Riding jeep-style allows you to do both!
- Be entertained along the way. The Road Trippers guides are entertaining and hilarious. Your guide will undoubtedly make your cheeks ache!
- Pick up some new backpacker friends. It’s hard to make friends when you’re driving a motorbike! The open top jeep is the perfect place to bond and share a beer with new pals.